802.11ac ramping fast as wireless LAN market sets another quarterly high
Boston, MASSACHUSETTS, February 28, 2014—Market research firm Infonetics Research released vendor market share and preliminary analysis from its 4th quarter (4Q13) and year end Wireless LAN Equipment and WiFi Phones report, which tracks access points, WLAN controllers, and WiFi phones for the enterprise. (Full report published by March 11.)
"It was another good year for the wireless LAN market despite the slowdown in growth as buyers awaited next-generation 802.11ac access points. Once these products became available in the second half of 2013, we saw intense interest from buyers, and it took just two quarters for 802.11ac to drive 10% of access point revenue," notes Matthias Machowinski, directing analyst for enterprise networks and video at Infonetics Research.
"That's a very good start out of the gate for 802.11ac, which bodes well for 2014," adds Machowinski.
WLAN MARKET HIGHLIGHTS
- Sales of wireless LAN (WLAN) equipment again hit a new high, rising to $1.2 billion in 4Q13
- WLAN controller revenue was flat in 2013; the market is shifting to a services and software approach, and this is putting downward pressure on average selling prices and shifting revenue to interactive access points and services
- Almost 200,000 802.11ac access points shipped in 4Q13, a much faster ramp than 802.11n, thanks in part to the relatively small price premium of .11ac products
- Notable market share gainers are Aerohive and Ubiquiti, who grew at 4 and 5 times the market in 2013, respectively
- WiFi phone revenue is up 23% in 2013 from the prior year, attributable to increased sales of higher-end models
Join analyst Matthias Machowinski March 27 for The Great 802.11ac Migration: Upgrade Now, or Wait?, a live event discussing the pros and cons of upgrading now vs. waiting for second-generation products. Learn more at http://w.on24.com/r.htm?e=754297&s=1&k=C352C7C8C168BF9272746E2118C12DDF
CLIENT CONFERENCE CALL
Clients, join Matthias Machowinski March 21 at noon ET for a live WLAN market update, or view on-demand. Log in for password: http://www.infonetics.com/cgp/login.asp?id=915.
WLAN REPORT SYNOPSIS
Infonetics' quarterly WLAN equipment report provides worldwide and regional market size, vendor market share, forecasts through 2018, analysis, and trends for WLAN infrastructure, including access points by type and technology, WLAN controllers, and enterprise single-mode WiFi phones. Vendors tracked: Aerohive, Alcatel-Lucent, Aruba, Brocade, Buffalo, Cisco, D-Link, Enterasys, Extreme, Juniper, Meru, Motorola, Netgear, HP, Ruckus, TP-Link, Ubiquiti, Xirrus, others. To buy the report, contact Infonetics: http://www.infonetics.com/contact.asp.