As businesses turn to the Internet of Things for growth, M2M WAN connections set to triple by 2018
Campbell, CALIFORNIA, April 16, 2014—Market research firm Infonetics Research released excerpts from its latest M2M Connections and Services by Vertical report, which provides market size, analysis, and forecasts for machine-to-machine (M2M) connections and services by technology, vertical, and geographic region.
"M2M continues to gather momentum as enterprises, in the never-ending pursuit of competitive advantage, seek to find new ways of using connected technologies to improve business agility and lower operational costs," notes Godfrey Chua, directing analyst for M2M and The Internet of Things at Infonetics Research.
Chua adds: "For service providers, there are significant and fast-growing opportunities ahead. Specifically, cellular technologies are playing an increasingly important role in enabling M2M services, comprising the vast majority of WAN wireless M2M connections today, over 220 million, and nearly tripling to just over 630 million connections by 2018."
"Among the cellular generations, 2G and 3G are the majority currently, but it's LTE that will grow the fastest, starting from a small base and then expanding rapidly, supported by efforts like AT&T/GM/OnStar and other connected car initiatives, as well as China Mobile's massive LTE TDD network rollout," continues Chua.
M2M MARKET HIGHLIGHTS
The global market for M2M services reached just over $16 billion in 2013, and there were nearly 1.7 billion M2M connections worldwide
- A growing list of global tier 1 players are supporting more than 10 million M2M connections each
- M2M "access" services—where operators' broadband services function as M2M access solutions—make up over 16% of M2M service revenue, around $3 billion
- 80% of M2M devices in 2013 were connected via personal area network (PAN) technologies such as WiFi, Bluetooth, and ZigBee
- Global revenue from M2M services is forecast by Infonetics to grow at an 18% CAGR from 2013 to 2018
- For technology vendors, it is increasingly important to build networking solutions that take into consideration the architectural requirements of the various M2M use cases that are proliferating, as well as the portfolio of emerging connection technologies
M2M ANALYST CONFERENCE CALL FOR CLIENTS
Clients, join Godfrey Chua April 16 at 11:30 AM EDT for a live M2M market recap and outlook, or view on-demand. Log in for password: https://www.infonetics.com/cgp/login.asp?id=803.
M2M REPORT SYNOPSIS
Infonetics' M2M connections and services report analyzes M2M market drivers, M2M ecosystem players, and M2M technologies to help businesses make informed decisions and plans related to the M2M market. The report provides worldwide and regional market size, forecasts through 2018, analysis, and trends for M2M connections and services by technology (GSM/GPRS/EDGE, CDMA2000/EV-DO, W-CDMA/HSPA, LTE, TD-SCDMA, other WAN wireless, PAN wireless, wireline, M2M PAN wireless/wireline access) and vertical (utilities/smart grid, automotive/transport/logistics, security/surveillance, retail/vending, healthcare, other).
The report includes overviews of the key tier-1 M2M operators (AT&T, China Mobile, China Unicom, Deutsche Telekom, NTT, Orange, Softbank, Sprint, Telefónica, Verizon, Vodafone) as well as a Customer Wins and Vendor Announcements tracker. To buy the report, contact Infonetics: http://www.infonetics.com/contact.asp.