China joins the LTE smartphone revolution
Campbell, CALIFORNIA, June 19, 2014—Market research firm Infonetics Research released excerpts from its 1st quarter 2014 (1Q14) 3G and LTE Mobile Broadband Devices and Subscribers market share, size, and forecasts report.
The comprehensive report tracks over 50 mobile broadband market segments and sub-segments, including smartphones, operating systems (OS), routers, cards, USBs, embedded devices (such as tablets) and subscribers, all by the type of network they connect to, including LTE, W-CDMA/HSPA, and other networks.
"The tremendous LTE network build taking place in China is going to result in a significant upside for LTE-enabled smartphones and tablets. Specifically, TDD-LTE devices are poised to be the world's fastest-growing segment as the Chinese market joins the LTE smartphone revolution," notes Godfrey Chua, directing analyst for M2M and The Internet of Things at Infonetics Research.
SELECT MOBILE BROADBAND MARKET HIGHLIGHTS
- The hangover from the holiday season impacted the usually-dynamic FDD-LTE smartphone segment in 1Q14, with revenue dipping 14% quarter-over-quarter, to $43 billion
- In 1Q14, mobile router revenue grew 24% sequentially and from the year-ago 1st quarter
- Meanwhile, mobile e-reader sales nose-dived 46% in 1Q14 from a year ago
- In the USB card segment, FDD-LTE cards made up 44% of revenue, overtaking W CDMA
- Lower-cost, entry-level devices based on W-CDMA are growing in popularity, sparked by a determined push by Chinese OEMs keen to grab market share
- On the vendor front, the acquisition of Motorola by Lenovo positions the company among the tier of top players (Apple, Huawei, LG, Nokia, Samsung, Sony)
- TDD-LTE embedded tablets are forecast by Infonetics to grow at a 155% compound annual growth rate (CAGR) from 2013 to 2018
MOBILE DEVICE ANALYST CONFERENCE CALL FOR CLIENTS
Clients, join analysts Godfrey Chua and Richard Webb June 24 at 11:00 AM EDT for a live quarterly mobile broadband device market recap and outlook, or view on-demand:
Infonetics' quarterly mobile broadband device report provides worldwide and regional market size, vendor market share, forecasts through 2018, analysis, and trends for smartphones; embedded mobile broadband devices (tablets, PCs, netbooks, mobile internet devices) and modems; mobile broadband USBs, routers, and mobile hotspots; operating systems (Android, iOS, Windows, Blackberry, etc.); and subscribers. Companies tracked: Amazon, Apple, Blackberry, Dell, Ericsson, Google, HTC, Huawei, LG, Motorola, Nokia, Novatel, Qualcomm, RIM, Samsung, Sierra Wireless, Sony, ZTE, and others. To buy the report, contact Infonetics: http://www.infonetics.com/contact.asp.
Directing Analyst, M2M and The Internet of Things
Directing Analyst, Mobile Backhaul and Small Cells