Microwave equipment market slides 17% sequentially in 1Q14; NEC gains
London, UK, May 30, 2014—Market research firm Infonetics Research released excerpts from its 1st quarter 2014 (1Q14) Microwave Equipment report, which tracks time-division multiplexing (TDM), Ethernet, and dual Ethernet/TDM microwave equipment.
"The proliferation of LTE-A upgrades and small cells deployments was not enough to stop the microwave equipment market from sliding downward in the first quarter of 2014, a casualty of continuing pricing pressures and inter-technology competition with wireline backhaul alternatives, particularly fiber-based solutions," notes Richard Webb, directing analyst for mobile backhaul and small cells at Infonetics Research. "The seasonal decline was much more severe than usual, suggesting a deeper malaise in the market."
Webb adds: "Even with the arrival of 5G towards 2018, the microwave backhaul market may be arriving at the limit of demand for increasing backhaul capacity from the cell site, as many will be more than adequately future-proofed by this point."
MICROWAVE EQUIPMENT MARKET HIGHLIGHTS
- Microwave equipment revenue totaled $1 billion worldwide in 1Q14, down 17% sequentially, and down 7% from the year-ago quarter
- Revenue for every microwave product segment—TDM, dual Ethernet/TDM, Ethernet, access, backhaul, transport—declined in 1Q14 from 4Q13
- Backhaul continues to dominate the microwave market, while access and transport remain stable niche segments
- Ericsson held steady atop the microwave equipment revenue share leaderboard in 1Q14, while NEC leapfrogged Huawei to claim the #2 spot
- By 2018, the average revenue per unit (ARPU) for Ethernet-only microwave gear is anticipated to fall to around half its 2013 value
ANALYST CONFERENCE CALL FOR CLIENTS
Clients, join Richard Webb May 30 at 11:00 AM ET for his live microwave market update, or view on-demand: www.infonetics.com/cgp/login.asp?id=815.
MICROWAVE REPORT SYNOPSIS
Infonetics' quarterly microwave equipment report provides worldwide and regional market size, vendor market share, forecasts through 2018, analysis, and trends for Ethernet, TDM, and hybrid microwave equipment by spectrum, capacity, form factor, architecture, and line of sight. Vendors tracked: Alcatel-Lucent, Aviat Networks, Ceragon, DragonWave, Ericsson, Exalt, Huawei, Intracom, NEC, SIAE, ZTE, and others. To buy the report, contact Infonetics: http://www.infonetics.com/contact.asp.