shopkick Kicked A$$ in 2011: More Than 3 Million Shoppers Now Use the App to Walk-in, Scan, Browse and Swipe Their Way to Valuab
shopkick, the largest location-based shopping app that rewards shoppers simply for walking into stores and interacting with products, today released compelling momentum statistics that reveal rapid adoption of the app, an uptick in partner growth and increased user engagement.
"The Holiday season went even better for shopkick than we had hoped for, and the kick continued through January," said Cyriac Roeding, CEO of shopkick. "shopkick is the largest location-based shopping app in the country, and for this year we have a lot of a plans that we are very excited about. On to a great 2012!"
Users Love shopkick:
- 1 billion (!) in-app deals and offers viewed
- 3 million active users just over a year since launch
- 5 million walk-ins to partner stores in December 2011, doubling in just four months
- 10 million product scans, up from 7 million in August 2011 and 3 million in February 2011
- During the 2011 holiday shopping season, shopkick users interacted with stores through the app more than 3.1 million times per day on average, up from just over 1 million in August 2011
- About 150 million interactions with retailers through shopkick from the launch of Old Navy on November 10, 2011 through the end of the year
- Sixty-four percent of all shopkick users are now women. More than half of female users have kids
- The average shopkick user is 30 years old. Less than 8% of all users are younger than 18
Now more than 4,000 individual stores across multiple retailers and 250 of the country's largest malls have fully deployed shopkick's technology. In addition, shopkick offers smaller rewards for interacting with products from brand partners at hundreds of thousands of other stores across America.
Updated Partner Alliance Metrics:
- Eleven national retail partners: American Eagle Outfitters, Best Buy, Crate and Barrel, Macy's, Simon Property Group (the nation's largest mall operator), The Sports Authority, Target, Toys"R"Us, west elm and The Wet Seal
- In 2011, Best Buy, Simon Property Group, Crate & Barrel and west elm expanded their shopkick program include all locations nationwide
- New partners in 2011: Old Navy (rolled out nationally at launch), Visa, InStyle, CoverGirl, Disney, Levi's, Libman, Mead Johnson, Meguiar's, Mr. Clean, Olay, Revlon, Tilex, Trident, VTech and more
- Over 35 major brand partners including Clorox, Disney, HP, Intel, Kraft Foods, Procter & Gamble, Unilever, Gerber, Hasbro, Nickelodeon and more
- Recently partnered with Visa to launch Buy and Collect rewards-with-purchase program
To provide high-value rewards to shoppers actually walking-in stores, the shopkick app detects a shopkick signal, emitted from a patent-pending device located in each participating store and picked up by a shopper's phone's microphone. Because the store knows it is rewarding actual visitors, it then delivers rewards called "kicks," which can be collected at all participating partner store locations. Kicks are redeemed for in-store gift cards, song downloads, movie tickets, Facebook Credits, donations to 30 different causes and charities and more.
Because shopkick is able to detect actual presence inside stores, partner retailers ensure that marketing dollars put into the shopkick program are being spent to reward customers who are actually present in the store, translating into higher value rewards for the shopper. Presence detection is something not possible with traditional location-based applications, which rely on GPS technology that has a typical error radius of 500 yards on mobile phones. And, because the detection occurs on the user's mobile device, the privacy of presence information is completely under the user's control.
Launched in August 2010, shopkick quickly became the largest location-based shopping app in America. It is available for free on the iPhone from the App Store at www.itunes.com/appstore/ and on Android Market at http://shopkick.com/android.html.
About shopkick, Inc.
shopkick, Inc. is a Palo Alto-based startup funded by Kleiner Perkins' iFund, Greylock Partners and Reid Hoffman, founder of LinkedIn, and investor in Facebook and Zynga. In August 2010, shopkick launched the first mobile application that hands consumers high-value rewards, offers and exclusive deals at shopkick's national retail partners simply for walking into stores and malls. Even more rewards can be earned for scanning partner brand products at over 250,000 stores nationwide. In combination with a groundbreaking new location technology called "shopkick Signal", the app can verify location within feet, and because the detection occurs on the phone, privacy of presence information is completely in the users' control. Shopkick's growing partner alliance includes American Eagle Outfitters, Best Buy, Crate and Barrel, Macy's, Old Navy, Simon Property Group, The Sports Authority, Target, Toys"R"Us, west elm, The Wet Seal, Visa, Kraft Foods, Procter & Gamble, Unilever, Intel, HP and more. shopkick is the only 100% performance-based marketing platform in the physical retail world, with measurable foot traffic and transactions at stores. The app grew to 3 million users in its first 16 months. The free shopkick app is available for the iPhone and Android.