Wireless LAN access point ASPs on the rise, sparked by 802.11ac
Boston, MASSACHUSETTS, June 9, 2014—Market research firm Infonetics Research released vendor and market analysis from its 1st quarter 2014 (1Q14) Wireless LAN Equipment and WiFi Phones report, which tracks access points, WLAN controllers, and WiFi phones for the enterprise.
"While WLAN growth slowed last quarter, pricing across all access point types rose for the first time in three quarters. This is an emerging positive sign that 802.11ac is slowly starting to change the trajectory of the market and will drive renewed revenue growth over the coming quarters," notes Matthias Machowinski, directing analyst for enterprise networks and video at Infonetics Research.
WLAN MARKET HIGHLIGHTS
- The global wireless LAN equipment market saw its first down quarter since the end of 2012, with revenue shrinking 10.8% sequentially in 1Q14, to $1.1 billion
- The market is up 3.3% from the same period a year ago
- For the full year, the WLAN equipment market grew 11% to $4.47 billion worldwide in 2013
- About as many 802.11ac access points shipped in the first quarter of 2014 as did in all of 2013 (just under 300,000)
- After a multi-year decline, independent access points have finally found a bottom and are now outpacing interactive access points
- Ruckus turned in the highest growth rate among the top tier WLAN vendors, up a third year over-year (YoY) in 1Q14
- WiFi phones are off to a bad start in 2014, with revenue down 15% sequentially
- Infonetics expects WLAN growth to accelerate in the coming quarters as infrastructure investments continue to favor WLAN to support more wireless devices, BYOD, and mobility, and as companies upgrade their networks to the latest technology
Join analyst Matthias Machowinski July 22 for Shifting to the Cloud: Managing Next-Gen WLANs, a live event examining new alternatives, from services to software to embedded controllers. Attend live or access the replay: http://w.on24.com/r.htm?e=805343&s=1&k=F6F0D2EC6034215FFD2522AAA58D6357
ANALYST CONFERENCE CALL FOR CLIENTS
Clients, join Matthias Machowinski June 13 at noon EDT for his live WLAN market recap and outlook, or view on-demand: http://www.infonetics.com/cgp/login.asp?id=915.
WLAN REPORT SYNOPSIS
Infonetics' quarterly WLAN equipment report provides worldwide and regional market size, vendor market share, forecasts through 2018, analysis, and trends for WLAN infrastructure, including access points by type and technology, WLAN controllers, and enterprise single-mode WiFi phones. Vendors tracked: Aerohive, Alcatel-Lucent, Aruba, Brocade, Buffalo, Cisco, D-Link, Enterasys, Extreme, Juniper, Meru, Motorola, Netgear, HP, Ruckus, TP-Link, Ubiquiti, Xirrus, others. To buy the report, contact Infonetics: http://www.infonetics.com/contact.asp.