Adobe: Users favor mobile web over downloadable apps

Tools

Mobile subscribers favor mobile browser experiences over accessing downloadable applications across consumer categories including shopping, financial services, entertainment and travel, according to a new study conducted by Adobe Systems' Omniture Business Unit. The study finds that 66 percent of consumers generally prefer the mobile web for shopping and accessing media content, with the remaining 34 percent citing a preference for downloadable apps--however, the majority of users favor the app format for interacting with social media and music as well as self-contained experiences like games and maps. Omniture adds that consumers report equal satisfaction levels with their browser and app experiences, spending roughly the same amount of time interacting with each.

Additional findings of the Omniture survey:

  • Eighty-one percent of respondents access maps and directions, followed by social networking (76 percent of respondents), local information (73 percent), reading news (68 percent) and reviewing bank account information (67 percent).
  • Males ages 30 to 49 are the most active content consumers and m-commerce purchasers, with 31 percent spending $499 or more via mobile device in the last 12 months, compared to 23 percent of women.
  • Eighty percent of women engage with social media on their mobile devices, compared to 70 percent of men.

For more on the Adobe/Omniture study:
- read this release

Related articles:
Nielsen: Email still dominates mobile web usage
Opera: Evening hours dominate mobile web browsing
Morgan Stanley: Mobile web to overtake desktop in five years