Android leads Millennial Media's Q2 impressions, but iOS gains ground

Tools

Google's (NASDAQ:GOOG) Android generated more than half of all impressions across the Millennial Media (NYSE:MM) mobile advertising network during the second quarter of 2013, but Apple's (NASDAQ:AAPL) iOS is narrowing the gap, the firm reports.

Android led all operating systems with 51 percent of Millennial Media impressions between April 1 and June 30, up from 46 percent a year ago. iOS followed at 42 percent, climbing from 34 percent during the second quarter of 2012. Both operating systems gained market share at the expense of fading BlackBerry (NASDAQ:BBRY), which plummeted from 15 percent to 7 percent in the most recent quarter.

Smartphones accounted for 70 percent of total Millennial Media platform impressions in the second quarter, down from 74 percent in the year-earlier period. Non-phone connected devices like tablets grew to 25 percent from 19 percent, while feature phones slipped from 7 percent a year ago to 5 percent. "The volume of total smartphone impressions continues to increase," Millennial notes. "This change in the mix of device impressions on our platform reflects the shifts in consumer adoption and use of mobile devices."

Apple's iPad led all tablets at 55 percent of Millennial impressions. Android tablets generated 44 percent of impressions: Samsung's Galaxy Tab led the way at 37 percent, trailed by Amazon's (NASDAQ:AMZN) Kindle Fire at 28 percent and Google's Nexus 7 at 7 percent. Impressions from the larger Google Nexus 10, which boasts a 10-inch screen, grew 51 percent quarter-over-quarter, Millennial adds.

Millennial Media now reaches more than 450 million monthly unique users globally, including approximately 160 million monthly unique users in the United States. Developers have integrated Millennial's platform into more than 45,000 applications, and the firm has created 450 million proprietary, anonymous user profiles.

Last month, Millennial acquired rival mobile ad network Jumptap for $196.8 million. Millennial controls 18 percent of the mobile advertising market, while Jumptap accounts for 10.7 percent, according to IDC data--their combined 28.7 percent is roughly on par with Google, Millennial Media President and CEO Paul Palmieri told investors.

For more:
- read this Millennial Media blog post

Related articles:
Millennial Media acquiring Jumptap in bid to topple Google
Millennial Media's revenue growth hampered by traffic costs, eMarketer predicts
Millennial Media acquires Metaresolver, looks to rebound from weak Q4
Millennial Media: Android generates 64 percent of all mobile game ad impressions
Millennial Media: Tablets, e-readers now 20 percent of mobile ad impressions

Comments