Apple's Cook blasts Android fragmentation

Tools

Apple's (NASDAQ:AAPL) Tim Cook used the company's developer conference today to spotlight the fragmentation that he said plagues Google's Android ecosystem. Cook said that 90 percent of all iOS users are on the latest version of Apple's operating system, iOS 6, whereas the Gingerbread version of Google's Android, released in 2010, remains the most widely used version of Android.

"This isn't just bad for users … this version fragmentation is terrible for developers," Cook said.

Indeed, according to data from Google released in May, 26.1 percent of Android devices ran Android Jelly Bean 4.1.x and another 2.3 percent ran Jelly Bean 4.2.x, corresponding to a combined 28.4 percent. Android Ice Cream Sandwich clocked in at 27.5 percent, while Android Gingerbread 2.3.x remained the dominant OS version at 38.5 percent.

Google did launch an effort in 2011 dubbed the Android Alliance to bring Android updates to users in a more timely manner. However, Android handset makers and carriers didn't rally around the concept, and Google has made no mention of it recently.

During his keynote presentation, Cook trumpeted iOS user satisfaction statistics, showing research from a number of sources that showed iOS users are pleased with their devices. For example, ChangeWave research from last year showed that 71 percent of iOS users are very satisfied with their device, above the 53 percent for Windows Phone, 48 percent for Android and 26 percent for BlackBerry.

Cook also highlighted research showing that iOS users make use of their devices more frequently than other users, including Android users.

For more:
- see this Verge live blog
- see this Engadget live blog

Special Report: Apple's WWDC 2013: Complete coverage

Related articles:
Report: Apple inks Sony to iRadio deal, WWDC reveal expected
Report: Apple overhauling iAd business in tandem with iRadio rollout
Report: Apple inks iRadio deal with Warner, WWDC launch possible
Rumor Mill: Sony balks at Apple iRadio song skipping, delaying launch
Report: Apple's iRadio stalled by label royalty demands
Report: Apple, Universal streaming music deal imminent, Sony talks lag
Report: Apple close to sealing iRadio streaming music deals
Report: Apple launching streaming radio service in early 2013

Comments