Google: Android Jelly Bean adoption eclipses Ice Cream Sandwich
More devices now run Android Jelly Bean 4.1.x and 4.2.x than the previous Android Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.x, Google (NASDAQ:GOOG) reports.
Based on data collected during a 14-day period concluding May 1, 26.1 percent of devices now run Android Jelly Bean 4.1.x and another 2.3 percent run Jelly Bean 4.2.x, corresponding to a combined 28.4 percent, up from 23 percent a month ago. Android Ice Cream Sandwich slipped from 29.3 percent to 27.5 percent. Android Gingerbread 2.3.x remains the dominant OS version at 38.5 percent, slipping from 39.8 percent last month.
Operators updated a number of high-profile Android devices to Jelly Bean in April. Verizon Wireless (NYSE:VZ) upgraded Motorola Mobility's Droid Bionic; AT&T Mobility (NYSE:T) overhauled LG's Optimus G and Samsung's Galaxy S II Skyrocket; and Sprint Nextel (NYSE:S) updated Samsung's Galaxy S II, Galaxy Victory 4G LTE and Motorola Photon Q.
Google currently supports nine different active versions of Android, dating back to Android 1.6, nicknamed Donut, through to Android 4.2.x. The company recently revised its approach to measuring Android operating system version adoption: In the past, Google compiled data on the percentage of devices running a given version of Android by collecting check-ins on its servers, but now it collects data from each Android device that visits its Google Play digital storefront, promising developers a more accurate portrait of the Android ecosystem as a whole.
- visit Google's Android Developers Dashboard
Google revamps Android adoption measurement, reports Jelly Bean spike
Rumor Mill: Google to unveil Android 4.3 at I/O 2013, Key Lime Pie delayed
Android Key Lime Pie leak points to spring release
Android, iOS power record-high 92 percent of smartphone shipments in Q4
Google's Schmidt: Android winning the mobile war against Apple