Yahoo acquired Alike, a mobile app that helped users discover nearby venues and places to visit. As a result, Alike said it will shutter its iPhone and Web apps, but the company's employees will join Yahoo's mobile business.
Yahoo unveiled a redesigned Mail client for Apple's iOS, Google's Android, Microsoft's Windows 8 desktop and the Web, promising a speedier, more streamlined user experience.
Microsoft broke 16 percent for the first time this month in the monthly comScore search engine market share ratings.
Yahoo has purchased mobile recommendations app developer Stamped for an undisclosed sum. The acquisition is Yahoo's first since former Google executive Marissa Mayer was named Yahoo president and CEO in July.
Hosting her first earnings call as Yahoo President and CEO, Marissa Mayer admitted Monday that the company has failed to exploit opportunities in the mobile segment, pledging dramatic changes moving forward.
The search giants may be bigger, but they're not always better. Niche search engines have a lot to offer, and the more established players are taking cues from their smaller counterparts. Start the slideshow...
The New York Times sparked a small firestorm in the blogosphere Sunday when it ran a front-page article titled "Power, Pollution and the Internet," accusing data centers of wasting vast amounts of energy and poisoning the planet.
Big data looms large, not only in terms of sheer volume of data, but in terms of opportunity for those who leverage its potential. That's the thinking behind the investment direction of Data Collective, an early stage venture fund for big data and IT infrastructure.
Big data tools have been around for quite some time, so there are vendors out there who have a good deal of experience at getting the job done. However, there is also a strong and growing crop of smaller vendors who are worthy of consideration too. A recent report by Wikibon found that only 5 percent of the current field is made up of pure plays, or those who only supply big data tools. The remaining 95 percent of the market, as defined by revenue, are the usual big players in enterprise tech--the mega vendors such as IBM, Intel, HP, Oracle, Teradata and Fujitsu.
No surprise, Google continued to dominate comScore's search engine market share, but there was one surprising data point from Ask.com.